- pastry for one pie crust and lattice
- 2 jars American Spoon Fruit Perfect Sour Cherries
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon five spice powder
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 orange
- 1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees at least 15 minutes before baking time. Have oven rack at middle level and place oven stone or baking sheet on rack before preheating.
- 2. Empty cherries into medium bowl. Stir together cornstarch and water in small bowl until corn starch is dissolved. Gently and evenly stir mixture into cherries along with sugar, five spice, vanilla extract and orange zest.
- 3. Remove dough for bottom crust from refrigerator. If necessary, allow to stand for a few minutes until soft enough to roll. You will need a pastry cloth rubbed with flour and a rolling pin fitted with cloth sleeve and rubbed with flour, or 2 sheets plastic wrap or waxed paper sprinkled lightly with flour. Place dough between plastic wrap (or wax paper) sheets and roll into a ¼˝-thick circle large enough to cut into 12½˝ circle. Transfer the dough to pie pan by rolling it around rolling pin or slipping hands underneath, palm sides down, and lifting it into pan. About ¾˝ border will remain. Fold border under so that it is flush with outer edge of pie pan. Pour in cherry filling.
- 4. Roll dough for lattice into an 11˝x17˝ rectangle. Cut twelve ½˝ strips, using a ruler and pastry jagger. To create woven lattice decoration, arrange half the strips evenly over the cherries. Gently fold back every other strip almost to center. Arrange another strip across the 3 unfolded strips.
- 5. Unfold the other strips so that they lie flat on top of this strip. Fold back the 3 strips that were not folded back the first time. Place another strip across the 3 unfolded strips, slightly closer to edge of pie and unfold folded strips across it. Continue with another strip of dough, folding back the 3 strips that were folded back the first time.
- 6. Place remaining 3 strips one by one on other half of pie, starting near center and working towards edge. Remember always to alternate strips which are folded back so that strips weave in and out. Use sharp scissors to trim strips to ½˝ overhang. Moisten under each strip with water and tuck overhang under bottom crust border, pressing down to make it adhere.
- 7. Place foil on pie edge (The crust will bake under the foil and brown perfectly). Bake 30 to 35 minutes or until bubbling thickly all over. Allow pie to cool at least 3 hours before serving. Pie will keep 2 days, uncovered, at room temperature.