- 1. For the club sauce, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, and pickle relish in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- 2. Divide the ground beef into four equal amounts. Form each into a loose patty, about ¾ to an inch thick.
- 3. Heat a grill or sauté pan over medium-high heat. Season the hamburger patties with salt and pepper. Pour a thin film of oil in the pan. When the oil just starts to smoke, add the burgers. For medium burgers, cook for three minutes, then flip, add the cheese, and cook for three minutes more.
- 4. While the burgers cook, lightly toast the buns. Smear the buns with a few tablespoons of the club sauce. Serve with lettuce and pickles.
- 5. For a spicy variation, use American Spoon Chili Jam instead of Brandywine Tomato Preserves.