- ¾ cup buttermilk, plus extra for brushing the scones
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 ounces (1 heaping cup) American Spoon Dried Tart Cherries, chopped
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 stick (8 Tbsp) cold, unsalted butter chilled, cut into small pieces
- coarse sugar for dusting the scones
- 1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Combine buttermilk, brown sugar, egg, chopped dried cherries, and vanilla extract in bowl and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and soda. Cut in the cold butter cubes until the mixture resembles a coarse meal.
- 2. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour in the wet ingredients. Using a spatula, gently fold the dough together until all the flour is incorporated. Turn the dough out on to a parchment-lined sheet tray. Using your floured hands, shape the dough into a slightly rounded disk, about 10-inches in diameter. Using a small knife, score the top of the dough into 8-12 wedges, depending on how big you'd like them. Brush the top of the dough with reserved buttermilk and sprinkle liberally with coarse sugar. Bake until the top of the scones is golden, about 35 minutes. Remove from oven and cool before portioning.