- 4 eggs
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- ½ cup water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 jar American Spoon Fruit Butter
- 1. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line the bottom of a 12x18 inch baking pan with parchment. Using melted butter, brush the parchment and the sides of the baking pan.
- 2. Combine the eggs and sugar in a stand mixer and whip until they turn fluffy and pale yellow. Add the vanilla extract and water and whisk to combine. In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour the egg mixture into the flour and gently fold together.
- 3. Pour the batter into the prepared sheet tray. Tilt the pan back and forth until the batter is in an even layer. Place in the oven and bake until the cake is springy to the touch and the edges start to pull away from the pan, 12-15 minutes.
- 4. Place a clean, slightly damp kitchen towel on your work surface. Invert the pan onto the towel and gently shake the tin to release the cake. Remove the parchment paper from the top of the cake and let cool.
- 5. While the cake is cooling, combine the heavy cream and the powdered sugar and whisk until the cream holds medium peaks. When the cake is cool, spread the fruit butter over the cake, leaving a 1-inch border. Repeat with the whipped cream. With the long side of cake facing you, roll the cake (the kitchen towel you inverted the cake on is an excellent tool to help roll). Dust the jelly roll with the reserved powdered sugar and serve.