- FOR THE CRUST
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 ounces (3 sticks) cold salted butter, cut into cubes
- 1/3 to ½ cup cold water
- FOR THE FILLING
- 8 cups apples, peel, cored and sliced ¼ inch thick
- 1 jar American Spoon Heirloom Apple Spoon Fruit
- ½ cup American Spoon Maple Syrup
- ½ teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1 egg
- pinch of coarse sugar
- 1. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butter and flour together. Using your fingers, smear the butter and flour together to form thin flakes. Continue until the mixture starts to come together in a shaggy mass. Add just enough cold water to bring the dough together. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- 2. To make the pie filling mix together the sliced apples and the Apple Spoon Fruit. Combine the remaining filling ingredients in a separate bowl and whisk to combine. Make sure there are no clumps of corn starch. Pour the maple syrup mixture over the apples and mix together. Let the filling macerate while you roll out the crust.
- 3. Pre-heat your oven to 350. Divide the dough in half. Lightly flour your work surface and roll out the dough into two 13-inch circles, about ⅛-inch thick. Transfer one of the dough circles to a 9-inch pie tin. Add the filling. Top with the second dough round, making sure you cut openings in the top to allow steam to vent. Trim any excess dough, then fold the edges of the top and bottom dough together to form a crust. Brush the crust with the egg, then sprinkle with coarse sugar.
- 4. Place the pie tin on a baking sheet to catch any overflow. Drape a piece of aluminum foil over the top crust to prevent overbrowning. Bake pie for 25 minutes then rotate and remove the foil. Bake for an additional 45 minutes, or until the crust is a deep golden brown and the filling is bubbling. Allow to cool completely before serving.