- 1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1¼ cups sugar
- 1½ sticks butter (6 ounces), at room temperature, plus extra for buttering the pan
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 jars Sour Cherry Preserves
- 1. Heat oven to 325°F. Butter the sides and bottom of a 9” cake pan. Cut a round of parchment paper large enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Place it in the pan, using the butter hold it in place, then butter the parchment.
- 2. Place the flour, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine. In the bowl of a stand mixer with paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Reduce the mixer speed to medium-low and add the eggs, sour cream, and vanilla. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are incorporated. Reduce the speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture. Continue mixing until all the ingredients are well blended.
- 3. Cover the bottom of the buttered cake pan with an even layer of Sour Cherry Preserves. Pour the batter over the cherries and smooth out the surface of the cake with a spatula or the back of a spoon. Place on a cookie sheet and bake until the top is golden brown and a cake tester inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes.
- 4. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes, then loosen from the edge of the pan using a small knife. Place a wire cooling rack over top of the cake pan. Firmly holding the rack and the pan together, smoothly invert them so the pan is sitting on top of the rack. Gently lift the pan from the cake and peel back the parchment paper. If any cherries stick, just remove them from the parchment and tuck them back on to the cake. Let cool completely and serve.