- FOR THE SPONGE
- 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
- 4 tablespoons warm milk
- 4 ½ tablespoons bread flour
- FOR THE DOUGH
- 1 cup bread flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs plus 1 for brushing buns
- 7 ounces soft butter (1 3/4 stick) cut into 1 inch cubes
- FOR THE FILLING
- 1 jar American Spoon® Early Glow Strawberry Preserves or any flavor American Spoon® Preserves or Spoon Fruit®
- 1. For the sponge, whisk together the yeast and warm milk in a medium-sized bowl. Once the yeast is dissolved, add the flour and mix until a shaggy dough is formed. Cover with plastic wrap and proof at room temp for two hours.
- 2. Using a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, combine flour, sugar, salt, eggs, and the sponge. Mix on low speed for 4 minutes. Divide butter into four equal parts and add one part at a time, allowing the butter to incorporate before the next addition. Once all the butter is added, mix the dough on med-low for 6 minutes. Wrap the dough with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours
- 3. Remove the dough from the refrigerator and roll into an approximately 12×20 inch rectangle, ¼ inch thick. Working with the 12 inch length of the rectangle facing you, spread an even layer of preserves over the dough, leaving a 2-inch strip at the top of the dough without preserves. Whisk the reserved egg in a small bowl and brush a layer of egg wash on the top strip of dough. This will seal the roll. Working away from you, roll the dough in a loose roll, leaving the sealed side down.
- 4. Prepare a 3-inch muffin tin by spraying the inside with non-stick pan spray. Cut the roll into 2-inch rounds and place the pieces cut-side-up into the prepared muffin tin. Allow to proof at room temperature until buns double in size, about two hours
- 5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the tops of the buns with the remaining egg wash and bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden brown.