- FOR THE RICOTTA
- 3½ cups whole milk
- 1½ cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- TO ASSEMBLE
- 1 loaf rustic Italian bread
- 1 jar American Spoon Early Glow Strawberry Preserves
- 4 ounces pistachios
- ¼ cup fresh thyme leaves
- ¼ cup honey
- 1. To make the ricotta, put the milk, cream, and salt in a medium saucepan and warm over medium heat to 190 degrees, stirring occasionally to keep milk from scorching. Remove from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Let the pot sit undisturbed for 10 minutes.
- 2. Line a colander with a few layers of cheesecloth and place over a large bowl. Pour the curds and whey into colander and let curds strain for one hour. Remove the ricotta from the cheesecloth and refrigerate.
- 3. To assemble, while the ricotta strains, heat oven to 375 degrees. Spread pistachios in an even layer on a baking sheet and toast until fragrant and light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove pistachios from the oven and cool.
- 4. Cut bread in ½ inch slices, and then cut the slices in half width-wise. Top each slice with a few teaspoons of ricotta and two or three dollops of Early Glow Strawberry Preserves. Garnish with a few toasted pistachios, a sprinkle of thyme leaves, and a drizzle of honey.
- 5. Homemade ricotta is thick, rich and creamy, but you may substitute any high quality ricotta.